Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ethics In Sports

In class we have discussed ethics in journalistic pieces of the past 20 years. One example was "Jimmy's World" by Janet Cooke, another was Stephen Glass's several made up quotes and sources for the New Republic. When it came to my ethics in writing my sports blog, I caught myself several times contemplating over saying a few things about some Phillies players. I try not to put down players, but there are some players I have grown to dislike. Not so much on the Phillies, but around the league, so I try not to blog about them. There are two examples of unethical journalism sports that have become very vivid to me. The first is the poor interviewing of now ESPN host of Jim Rome is Burning, Jim Rome. In an interview with now former NFL quarterback Jim Everret, Rome called Everret, Chris. Chris Everrt was a women's tennis player Jim Everret corrected him several times, but Rome kept on saying it. Everrret told Rome if he did it again, that he would hurt him. Rome did it again and Everret attacked him. This is an example of unethical journalism.

No comments: